The epidemiologic behavior of the Invasive Meningococcal Disease (IMD) in Chile has changed. At the end of 2011, the W135 serogroup belonging to the hypervirulent clone ST-11 emerged. It affected diverse countries of the world, after the Mecca pilgrimage in 2000. In Chile, there have been 133 IMD cases during 2012. These figures represent an incidence of 0.7 per 100,000 inhabitants, which is 30% higher than expected. Eighty eight percent of cases were confirmed by the National Reference Laboratory at the Chilean Public Health Institute. The serogroup was determined in 103 strains and 58% belonged to the W135 serogroup, surpassing for the first time the B serogroup (37%). The Metropolitan Region concentrated 80% of these cases, and the remaining 20% affected other seven regions of the country. Forty seven percent of cases corresponded to children less than 5 years of age. The predominant clinical presentation of the W135 serogroup was a sepsis in 67% of cases. The fatality ratio of IDM during 2012 was 27%, the highest in the past 20 years. With this information, the Chilean Ministry of Health decreed a sanitary alert and implemented an integrated approach to control and prevent W-135 IDM, denominated "W-135 Action Plan".
- Epidemiological monitoring
- Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135